Importance of Clothing with Ultra Violet Protection
What is Ultra violet Protection Factor Rating?
Ultra violet protection factor rating mainly determines the degree of effectiveness of a fabric to prevent harmful ultra violet rays of the sun. It is similar to the sunscreen rating and UPF ratings range around 15 to 50, where the higher ones earn the credibility of being more effective than their counterparts. Colour, stretchability, finishing, weave, composition of yarn, moisture and condition of the garment are the chief determining factors that dominate its UPF ratings.
Importance of Sun Protective Clothing
We all are aware of potential damages caused due to sun exposure and here, sun-protective clothing becomes essential. Melanoma is a kind of skin cancer that results due to excessive sun exposure and is becoming extremely common nowadays. Sun-protective clothing can not only protect you from skin cancer, but also restricts premature ageing caused due to harmful UV rays. Some fabrics tend to absorb Ultra violet radiation and dark colours are highly susceptible to this phenomena. It is advisable to protect the exposed body parts with an effective sunscreen too.
How to Choose Sun Protective Clothing?
Judging the clothing from the amount of light that passes through is not enough! It is better to scan through the UPF labels to ascertain their reliability of sun-protection. This label ensures that the fabric has passed transmittance tests and other laundering.
How Is Sun Protective Clothing Made?
A series of laboratory tests like transmittance tests, laundering the garment and similar processes go into the making of sun-protective clothing. These tests ensure that the clothes are ready to prevent you from skin cancer and premature signs of ageing by acting as a shield against harmful UV rays.
Here are some tips for choosing the right sun protective clothing:
- Buy a sun-protective garment according to your needs. For instance a linen shirt that is tightly woven is sun smart and keep you cool too.
- If purchasing elasticated garments like leggings, swimsuits, shorts; then make sure you buy the right size. Overstretching of a fabric reduces its sun-protection ability.
- Go for garments with minimum UPF 30 rating so that you get enough sun protection from the sun.
- Wash cotton garments 2-3 times, this can enhance their sun-protection ability due to the shrinkage of the fabric.
- Always go for wide brimmed hats to save your face, neck and ears from the harmful rays of the sun.
Next time whenever you head out for buying a sun-protective attire, keep in mind all the factors discussed here. You will be amazed to see the difference in your perspective and will surely end up investing in a high-performance attire that will accompany you in all your outdoor activities. There is nothing better if it also offers protection from stings of sea creatures!